Animal Welfare Guidelines
We are all invested in achieving the highest welfare and care for all of the dogs attending DogFest.
Our Official Welfare Partner
DOG CONDUCT AND CARE
- Please consider the temperament of your dog before you decide to attend. The show is very busy with thousands of other dogs and people, and knowing your own dog(s), you should consider if this is an environment they will enjoy or if it is likely to make them stressed or anxious, in which case they should not attend.
- What your dog can cope with will depend on its age, breed, health and the weather on the day. For example, suitable dogs will be healthy (physically and emotionally), not over- or under-weight, friendly towards other dogs and people, confident and calm in new places with new people.
- The welfare of your dog is your responsibility throughout the duration of the show and they MUST NOT be left unattended at any time.
- Dogs must be under control and on a lead at ALL times. Extendable leads are not appropriate for the environment and electric shock collars or prong collars should not be used.
- Only well-socialised dogs (i.e. friendly towards other dogs and people, including children) should attend the festival. The behaviour of your dog is YOUR responsibility.
- Please do not attend if your dog is fearful of other dogs or people.
- Dogs should not be dressed up in costumes, or any restrictive clothing that restricts their movement or natural behaviour.
- Dogs should not be forced to interact or do anything they don’t want to.
- Dogs should have a collar and a tag with their owner's name and address inscribed on it (note: this is a legal requirement) and ideally a phone number on which the owner can be contacted.
- When travelling, we would ask you to follow the advice of all the major charities and government, and ensure that your dog is transported safely by properly securing him/her in the vehicle with a suitable harness, or in a suitable carrier, rather than be loose in the vehicle.
- Always travel with a portable water container for your dog. Always assume the weather will be hot and sunny. There will be dog watering points throughout the venue to drink, and splash pools for dogs to use to cool off if required. Please also consider the temperature inside your vehicle whilst you might be in traffic waiting to enter the event.
- Your dog(s) MUST NOT be left unattended in a vehicle during the event (or at any time). If poor weather turns into direct sun, it can take only a few minutes for a vehicle to reach temperatures that are a threat to their welfare and even their life.
- If the weather is wet and cold, it is your responsibility to keep them warm and dry.
- Please ensure that you follow the standard Veterinary advice that your dog is correctly vaccinated to prevent disease, and do not bring your dog if they appear to be feeling unwell, have suffering from vomiting or diarrhea within the past 48 hours or you suspect that they are suffering from a contagious condition.
- Dogs should be healthy and fit enough to take part in the have-a-go activities. Enter them based on your knowledge of your dog, his/her fitness and veterinary history. Please follow any instructions you are given closely.
- Owners should be aware of the signs of heat stress and also make provision for use of pet-safe sunscreen where appropriate. Some dogs are more prone than others e.g. those with short flat faces, overweight, old, young and dogs with thick coats. If any dog starts to display signs of stress during the event, inform a member of the event team so that help can be provided. It is recommended you provide your dog with plenty of rest breaks in shaded areas with water available.
- Harsh handling of any dog at any time and aversive devices such as e-collars or prong collars will not be tolerated. The organisers and/or staff reserve the right to ask visitors to leave if they believe that their dog is being caused undue stress or compromised mental or physical health by being at the event.
- Bitches in season must not attend the event.
- Please be a responsible dog owner and clean up after your dog. Designated disposal areas are located at the show. Please bring dog waste bags.
HEALTH AND SAFETY OF VISITORS
- Children under the age of 16 MUST be accompanied by an adult.
- Visitors are responsible for ensuring that they are wearing appropriate attire, taking into account the nature of the festival and the weather forecast. Wearing sunscreen is advised.
- Fitz All Media (FAM), the organisers of DogFest, can take no responsibility for visitor’s medical conditions. If any visitor is in any doubt about their ability to participate in any activities they should seek medical advice or refrain from taking part.
- Persons attending DogFest do so at their own risk. FAM, its sponsors, contractors and agents will not be liable in any way for injury, loss, damage or death that might occur as a result of participation at DogFest, unless by negligence on their part.
- If your dog has a problem at the event, please contact the organisers for veterinary assistance. The telephone number to call and the location of the Organiser's Office onsite will be provided on the website one week prior to the show and will be featured in the show guide which can be picked up free of charge at the entrance to the show. Or alert one of the organisers at one of the rings or have-a-go activities.
- If whilst at the event you become concerned for a dog’s welfare please contact the organisers who will pass your concern on to our events Animal Welfare Officer. As above, the details for the organisers will be found in the show guide and will be featured on the DogFest website one week prior to the show taking place.
By visiting DogFest you agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the show. You also acknowledge that you participate in the show at your own risk. DogFest accepts no liability whatsoever for any accidental damage or loss of any kind, whether direct or consequential, suffered by you, your family or your dog(s), in relation to visiting DogFest, provided that nothing shall exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence.
FILMING AND PHOTOGRAPHY
By attending the event, participants consent to being filmed/photographed for security and broadcast without payment.